About these ads

Old School Game Blog

Exploring the rich past of gaming

Play Infocom Adventures Online

Hi everyone,

If you’re interested in old text adventure games, then I’ve got some good news for you. Did you know that you can play such games Online using your Internet browser? There’s a website called Play Infocom Adventures Online that has plenty of classics available for playing.

The following games are hosted on the site:

Zork I: The Great Underground Empire
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Stationfall
Deadline
The Witness
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
The Lurking Horror

To be honest, I’m not very familiar with text adventures, but I’ve been getting a bit more interested in them lately. This is partly because I love reading science-fiction and fantasy novels. Playing a text adventure game is a bit similar to reading, but with the additional option to interact and take part in the storyline. I’m definitely going to try out one or more of the games listed above.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom (screenshot by Old School Game Blog)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom. No 3D graphics here! ;) (screenshot by Old School Game Blog)

Are there any text adventure players out there? If yes, then please leave a comment below. Would love to hear about your favourite games and what you like about the genre.

About these ads

11 responses to “Play Infocom Adventures Online

1. L.H. Forsberg March 4, 2012 at 21:36

This is full of win. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is my favorite for sure. Here is a flash version of Hitchhiker’s Guide hosted on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

2. stiggyworld March 6, 2012 at 18:51

Excellent find and thanks for sharing. I haven’t played some of these in ages and I do like the odd bit of adventuring from time to time. The only problem is, which one do I visit/revisit first :)

3. spydersvenom March 7, 2012 at 14:27

This is a great find as I was seriously considering purchasing the Zork series on GOG.com, but with the original guys who worked on the game not getting the $$$, I feel these games really are public domain. Zork is still my favorite because it seemed more “fair” than Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. At the same time, the humor, when it worked, was much better in HGG.

• oldschoolgameblog March 7, 2012 at 18:19

Hi Spydersvenom,

Many thanks for commenting. :) I use GOG myself, but I also feel a bit like you do. Love your blog by the way.. lot’s of interesting posts concerning shoot’em up’s. Keep up the good work! :)

4. KieronW March 21, 2012 at 21:52

If you like science fiction, A Mind Forever Voyaging is excellent fun (sadly not on that site). Make sure you read the manual that comes with it to really get into the story though! The map is also very useful,

5. phil March 28, 2012 at 06:15

Oh wow, i remember a friend of mine talking about Zork a few weeks ago. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the info! great post :)

Oh and i’ve found a few other old-school games on Free Game Palace as well. So you might want to check it out :)

6. Anonymous April 6, 2014 at 02:46

When playing these games how does one save. When I try to save it says error possibly due to applet security restrictions