Today Hyperion Entertainment announced the release of the newest version of AmigaOS, namely 4.1 Update 3. This OS will be used to power the new computer from A-EON Technology called the AmigaOne X1000. You can find more information about this machine by clicking here.
Here’s the complete press release from the official website of Hyperion Entertainment:
AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 Released
Brussels – August 29th, 2011
Hyperion Entertainment CVBA and the AmigaOS development team announce the immediate availability for download of AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 for registered users of AmigaOS 4.1 on the following platforms:
- Amiga Classic equipped with CyberstormPPC or BlizzardPPC;
- AmigaOne and MicroA1-C;
- Sam440 (all variants);
- Pegasos II;
Update 3, painstakingly assembled by AmigaOS’ project lead Steven Solie after extensive beta testing by our dedicated team of beta testers, contains a substantial part of the new functionality and a wide variety of bug fixes and improvements developed over the last 16 months.
Please note that some new applications (including Timberwolf) will rely on the feature-set of AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3.
An incomplete list of features in Update 3 includes:
- Updated Installation Utility program;
- Updated PATA and SATA drivers;
- Improved DOS stability and speed;
- Fixed Amiga shared object issues;
- Support for AmigaOne keyboards including boing key swap feature; Set keymap_swapaltamiga to “on” in your firmware to enable;
- Updated Intuition and GUI components;
- New consistent full release string including update number;
- Updated AmiSSL certificates;
- Updated USB stack with USB 2.0 (EHCI) support;
- Improved Sam460ex support including sound driver;
- I2C support for the Sam440ep and Sam460ex platforms;
- Updated and improved Warp3D support;
- Faster 2D graphics support;
- Various kernel fixes for increased stability;
- Updated MUI with many new features to make porting MUI 4.0 based applications simpler;
- Improved notifications support.
Hyperion Entertainment wishes to thanks its customers for their continued support in these exciting times for the Amiga platform.
Are any of you running AmigaOS on classic or next-generation hardware? If yes, are you going to install this new version of the OS?
As a bonus, here’s a video from a guy calling himself Techamigakit at YouTube. This clip shows the AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3. Please keep in mind that the AmigaOne X1000 is under testing and that the boot-up is therefore slower than it will be in the future. Enjoy the show!